Community Healthy Living Fund
The Community Healthy Living Fund offers support to communities, community groups, recreation committees and organizations to plan and deliver initiatives to improve the health and well-being of Newfoundlanders and Labradorians and to enhance opportunities for people to live healthy, active lifestyles.
The new Community Healthy Living Fund replaces the following provincial grant programs:
- Seniors Recreation Grant Program
- Provincial Health and Wellness Grant Program
- Age-Friendly NL Organization Grant Program
- Community Recreation Support Program (Capital Grant, Physical Activity Equipment Grant and Community Recreation Development Grant).
Please note: Municipalities seeking funding for age-friendly community grants are asked to complete the Age-Friendly Community Grant Application available at
Funding is available for initiatives under three categories:
- Supportive Environments
- Capacity Building
The fund will support a range of initiatives and activities including: developing action plans; developing recreation programs; improving the usability, accessibility and/or safety of facilities; and creating supports to increase wellness and healthy living opportunities. The funding categories allow for flexible use of funds, as well as accountability and evaluation processes. A summary description for each funding category is as follows:
- Supportive Environments - offers funding to support the development of active and healthy living environments for all. Funding is available to retrofit and renovate existing facilities that are used for recreation and sport and to fund infrastructure costs in these facilities that increase the use, lower operating costs, improve safety and increase accessibility.
- Programs - provides funding to communities, community groups and organizations to develop/adapt and deliver programs that support healthy living. The programs must focus on one or more of the following: recreation, physical activity, healthy eating, tobacco control and injury prevention.
- Capacity Building - offers funding to strengthen the ability of incorporated municipalities to build their knowledge and skills in order to address and support an active and healthy lifestyle in their communities. This includes developing the municipality's ability to plan, identify project goals and objectives, be involved with community consultations, manage community projects, consider regional recreation opportunities, and develop and sustain partnerships.
All interested applicants are encouraged to review the guidelines. Once reviewed if individuals have questions in specific areas, please contact:
Supportive Environments, Programs &/or Capacity Building Funding
Telephone: (709) 729-5270
Aging and Seniors Consultant
Telephone: (709) 729-6262
Healthy Living Consultant
Telephone: (709) 729-3428
Adobe® Acrobat® Reader software can be used for viewing PDF documents. Download Acrobat® Reader for free.